Last week we discussed some beautiful places in this stunning area of the world to visit. Summertime is the season for adventures, after all. It is the time for booking that extra day off, gathering your loved ones, packing up the car, and leaving the city in your dust. As much as we love Calgary, sometimes a change of scenery is exactly what the doctor ordered.
While leaving it all behind to embark on a wild adventure is exciting, you can not completely negate your responsibilities back here. After all, the safety of your property lies in the gentle embrace of a little foresight. Studies have proven time and time again that homes are most vulnerable when their owners are away. Without you there regularly to keep an eye on things, lots has the potential to happen.
So, how can you keep your property safe while you’re away?
It’s not all about a good door lock (although that wouldn’t hurt the situation). Overall, the most important thing is to make sure that your home continues to look lived in. You can do this a number of ways:
– Invite neighbours or family to park their extra vehicle(s) in your driveway or where you normally park. A full driveway makes your house look bustling with activity.
– Put your newspaper service on hold, or ask a neighbour to collect anything that finds its way to your doorstep. Piles of newspapers make a house look completely deserted.
– Hire a local kid to mow your lawn! They’ll appreciate the extra money and, again, your home will appear well looked after.
– Turn on the radio. It doesn’t have to be loud, just noticeable enough so that anyone who tries to sneak in will hear the noise. In that vein, leave a light on. You don’t need to do anything that will drain your electricity bill.
– Invest in a good alarm system. Again, you don’t have to break the bank. Just have something installed to deter any sneaky business. Most systems will come with a window sticker from the company. It may not align with your overall aesthetic, but placing it in a noticeable corner at the front of the house somewhere will let observers know your home is secure.
You want to come back from vacation to home, sweet home, not home, burned to a crisp and looted empty, sweet home. Make sure you look out for your neighbours and they will look out for you!
Your Real Estate Professional,