- Parks! Calgary is home to some of the largest and most well-protected green spaces in Canada. Here at Team Ken Richter we love being right by Bowness Park, one of the oldest in the city.
- Local Businesses! Calgarians are filled with an entrepreneurial spirit that has brought so many unique, home-grown businesses to the city. We love shopping local!
- Theatre! Whether small improv theatre’s like Loose Moose or big-stage productions at Arts Commons, Calgary is home to so much high-quality theatre. Plus, our film industry is growing exponentially!
- Western Roots! We love our western roots. Calgary was settled by cowboys, and that cowboy spirit remains the heart of our city.
- Downtown Skyline! Calgary truly has one of the most beautiful downtown…
Bowness RSS Feed
Tips for Skating the Bowness Lagoon
Skating on the Bowness Lagoon is a Calgary tradition! The City of Calgary writes, "Bowness Park was built before the First World War by John Hextall, a local land developer. It was built in the town of Bowness as a weekend retreat for nearby Calgarians." For over a hundred years, Calgarians have enjoyed Bowness park through rain, shine, and snow. Now, it's your turn.
The City of Calgary offers the following information for those of you wanting to visit the park for a skate:
Enjoy free outdoor skating on the lagoon in the eastern portion of the park from mid-November to mid-March (weather dependent). Helmets are strongly encouraged.
Skate rentals: Rentals provided by the University of Calgary Outdoor…
Christmas in Calgary Bucket List
Christmas in Calgary is a magical time of the year. With so much to do and see, there is something for everyone hoping to make their spirits a little more merry and bright. Looking for some classic Calgary Christmas activities? We've got your Christmas in Calgary bucket list!
Here is your guide to Christmas in Calgary:
- Experience an old fashioned Christmas at Once Upon a Christmas at Heritage Park. Not only can you learn the holiday traditions of days past, but you'll get the chance to see Santa, explore the exhibits, pet fuzzy animals, try authentic Candy Cane, and so much more. These events are very family friendly, with lots to enjoy for every age.
- Volunteer with Operation Christmas Child! Calgary is home to one of Samaritan Purse's…
November 2022 Calgary Events: Things to Do in YYC November 2022
There are lots of fun events happening around the city of Calgary this month! Here are just a handful:
November 3-30 Potion Putt: Wizarding Mini Golf
November 4 The Wine Experience
November 4 - 30 The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe at Rosebud Theatre
November 9 Bryan Adams Tour
November 11 Remembrance Day
November 12-13 Bowness Holiday Craft Fair
November 16 BCA General Meeting
November 17-20 Disney On Ice
November 18 Live Country Music at The Big Four Roadhouse
November 20 Deerfoot Inn & Casino Holiday Market
November 21-22 BCA Casino Fundraiser
November 23 Zoolights: Adults Only Night
November 26 Calgary Scouts Christmas Market
November 26 Little Modern Christmas Market
November 26 The Candy Cane Kids
November 28 Rupi Kaur Live Tour
Have a great November,…
Autumn Bucket List
The winter may have Christmas, the spring may have flowers, and the summer may have backyard BBQ’s; but here at Team Ken Richter we are particularly fond of Autumn. The fall is an absolutely striking season, filled with deep golds and burgundy’s, crunchy leaves, warm scarves and pumpkins. Although we love warm summer days, fall cannot be matched in beautiful Calgary, Alberta.
This fall in particular is set to be one of the most magical yet, boasting gorgeous conditions well into October. Still: the autumn season is fleeting. Here in Calgary it typically lasts from mid-September to mid-October. We are so lucky to get to experience all four seasons here in Calgary, no matter how short some of them may be. Soak them in. Experience them as deeply as…
October 2022 Calgary Events
October is such a fun events season, kicking off all of the holidays that the end of the year brings. Whether you’re looking for autumnal delights or spooky treats, there is something for everyone this fall! Here are just a handful of the events you can look forward to:
- Heritage Park Ghost Tours & Ghouls Night Out: Did you know that Heritage Park is haunted? The ghost tours are a fun way to learn more about Calgary’s spooky history. If that sounds too scary for you, check out their Halloween event, Ghouls Night Out! There are ton of live performances, activities, photo opportunities and more. Plus, you’re encouraged to wear your costume.
- Stampeders vs. Roughriders: It’s a rivalry as old as time. The Roughriders are known to have some of the…
Where To See The Autumn Leaves
F. Scott Fitzgerald once wrote, "life starts all over again when it gets crisp in the fall"; and oh, how crisp it has become! The autumn leaves are in full bloom, flaunting gorgeous shades of reds, yellows and oranges. Autumn is a beautiful--but short--transition time between our hot summers and cold winters, so embrace this small window of beauty while it lasts!
The most popular destination to see the fall colours is the mountains, where larch season is underway and autumn is on full display. However, mountain destinations can be packed with locals looking for an escape and tourists coming to stand in awe and wonder. Popular Kananaskis hiking destinations, the towns of Banff and Canmore, and Lake Louise are crowded these days, so skip them! Did you…
May 2022 Calgary Events To Do
Happy May, Calgary! Here are some of the fun events happening around our city this month:
May 6-7 Calgary International BeerFest: "The Calgary International Beerfest brings the beer world together at Canada’s largest beer festival. Rated as one of the best beer festivals in the world, with 700+ beers from 200+ breweries, and so many innovative destinations within the festival, your biggest challenge will be deciding where to start."
May 15 Bowness Spring Clean Up: "The Bowness Spring Clean Up is a partnership between the Bowness Community Association, the City of Calgary, and other local organizations and businesses to provide free disposal services to our community. Residents can drop off their unwanted items to various recycling vendors and/or…
April 2022 Calgary Events Things To Do
Can you hear the birds chirping? The green grass growing? The sun getting a little bit warmer? That's right Calgary, it is officially springtime. Here are some of the fun events happening around the city for you to check out this gorgeous April:
April 3 Beginning of Ramadan
April 10 Palm Sunday
April 10 Introduction to Alberta Letterpress : Have you ever been curious about how old printing letterpresses work? Learn how to make your own beautiful prints the old fashioned way at this workshop!
April 10 Calgary Jazz Orchestra Ukrainian Relief Fundraiser : It's been over a month since Russia invaded Ukraine. Proceeds from this concert will go right to relief efforts in support of Ukraine's fight to save their country.
April 12 Celtic Illusion : What do you…
YYC Hot Chocolate Festival Favourites
It's YYC Hot Chocolate Festival time! This annual event will help you discover new local cafes, try some tasty drinks, and give back. $1.00-$3.00 from every cup sold goes towards Meals on Wheels, a charity that brings healthy and filling meals to those in need. You can vote for your favourite drink, and in the end, a winner will be crowned. Here are just a handful of the drinks being featured this year:
Euphoria Cafe: "Inspired by Bantha Milk, with the power of the force, we introduce to you our “Tatooine Hot Chocolate”. White chocolate melted to order blended with blue spirulina and lavender, fresh steamed coconut and gf oat milk, topped with a dusting of the light side and dark side. This sweet exotic drink is sure to please in this cold…